Place a small litter box in your guinea pig's cage in the area where he naturally eliminates. A guinea pig will choose a specific area in his cage to relieve himself and return to the same area repeatedly.
Tips & Warnings
- Reward your guinea pig when he uses the litter box, but just ignore him if he doesn't use the box. It may take a while for him to use the litter box consistently, but that is part of the training process.
- Empty the litter box daily and clean it with warm, soapy water. Dry the box completely before adding fresh hay to it. Keeping the litter box clean will help to potty-train your guinea pig without his having to walk in waste.
- Let your guinea pigs to choose their perfect toilet corner, before placing a litter tray in the cage
- Put the litter tray in the corner that the guinea pigs seem to pee/poop in the most
- Fill the litter box with a familiar smelling and looking litter to the one the guinea pigs are currently on
- Wait to ensure that the guinea pigs are content using the same corner before changing the litter
- Change the litter box every three days as needed, and wash it every other week. This ensures that the guinea pigs’ scent is still strong on it, so they will more willingly go back to use the litter box and‘re-scent’ it.